Clothing Not to EVER wear to court:
• Sleeveless or muscle shirt.
• Exercise outfit.
• Anything sexy or too dressy. Including, tight tops, short skirts, sequins, slinky tops, revealing tops. Do not wear anything you would wear out on a Saturday night!
• Sundress or strapless dress.
• Crop tops. Cover your belly button!
• Any top with spaghetti straps.
• T-shirts (especially ones with beer, drug, or sexual references).
• Anything you would wear to the zoo or to do yard work.
• Athletic attire, especially baseball caps.
• Jeans, unless they are the only long pants you own.
• Clothing that is too small or too large.
• Clothing that reveals your underwear.
• Shorts or cut-offs.
Footwear not to ever wear in court:
• Flip-flop sandals.
• Athletic shoes.
• High-heel spikes.
• Open-toed shoes.
• Anything you would wear at the beach.
• Lots of jewelry, especially if it makes noise when you move.
• Sunglasses, unless medically prescribed.
Hair matters – what you never want in court!:
• Wet and messy.
• Unnatural dye job.
• Hairnet and/or curlers.
• Weird or unusual haircut.
Hygiene matters in court – NEVER go to court:
• Looking dirty or unshaven.
• With too much cologne and perfume. Use very little. Too much and everyone will wonder what you are trying to cover up!
• Smelling like cigarette smoke.
• Smelling like pot. That is a totally different problem!
• Smelling of alcohol. Again, that is a totally different problem!
• Nails – extremely long nails on both men and women, neon or bright nail polish.
Tattoos & Piercings:
• Hide the tattoos.
• Remove jewelry BEFORE entering the courtroom.
• Do not have bare legs or shoulders showing.
Ideas of what you SHOULD wear to the courthouse:
• Conservative dress – something you would wear to church, work or a nice social function. (If you wear a uniform to work, it is usually OK to wear it to court unless you wear shorts to work.)
• Wear clothes that fit. If you have gained or lost a lot of weight, please buy something new for your courtroom appearance.
• Suit with tie.
• Sports coat.
• Long-sleeve button-down shirt with a collar and long pants.
• Wear a belt or suspenders to keep up your pants.
• A nice dress or woman’s business suit.
• A conservative pants suit.
• Conservative top and long slacks.
• Less is more. Remove all piercings.
• If you claim you have no money, then wearing lots of jewelry is unwise.
• Make sure nails are neat and clean.
• Wear neutral nail polish.
• Wear closed-toe shoes.
• Wear conservative shoes.
• Schedule a haircut two weeks before the court appearance.
• Look neatly groomed. If your hair is long, tie it back. No hairnets, rollers, or combs.
• Brush your teeth and use mouthwash.
• Men, shave before court and trim your mustache/beard.
• Women wear very conservative makeup.
• Use soap and water liberally before coming to court.
• Deodorant. You will be nervous, so be prepared.
• If you perspire a lot, bring a handkerchief or whatever to look cool and confident.
• Cover tattoos.
For questions about this guide give me a call! -Don Kaufman (970) 947-1776 www.glenwoodattorney.com